Take out a Fairstone loan between November 17th to 30th, 2021, and you won’t have to make a loan payment until next year.
While many of us in Alberta like to think we’re financially prepared for any financial emergency that may come about, that isn’t always the case. In fact, those in Alberta and the rest of Canada are actually not as prepared as you may think, with only about 25% having a rainy day fund set aside for emergencies.
Click here to learn how you can start saving when you have too much debt.
This means if something like a car accident, medical emergency, or unexpected expense takes place, most people will be unable to respond and could end up in financial trouble.
Thankfully, short term loans are here to save the day. These are generally smaller loans (about $100-$2000) that need to be repaid in a shorter amount of time than a standard loan, typically between one and two years.
I Want To…
Short Term Loans vs. Payday Loans
When people in Alberta hear the term short term loan they often think that it is just another name for a payday loan, but that isn’t the case. While there are some similarities, there are also many differences between the two.
- Both will generally have larger interest rates than standard unsecured loans, as there is a shorter repayment period. But it’s important to note that the average payday loan has an APR of 500%.
- Both loans can be used for anything, but are often applied for when people need a small amount of money quickly for emergencies or to hold them over until they are paid next.
- While both have a shorter repayment time, a short term loan’s repayment period can be up to two years, while payday loans are generally repaid within two weeks.
- Payday loans have few requirements which often leads to consumers applying for one when they cannot afford to.
- Due to their quick repayment periods and interest rates that are generally very high, payday loans can lead to getting stuck in the cycle of debt.
Check out this infographic on the payday loan cycle to see how it could affect you.
While short term loans are generally better if you have a bit of flexibility and want to keep your loan affordable, payday loans give you the benefit of near-immediate cash within only a few hours, in many cases. But with that in mind, the cost of a payday loan without a doubt outweighs any of its perceived benefits.
For more information about payday loans in Alberta, read this.
How to Qualify for a Short Term Loan in Alberta?
One of the great things about short term loans is just how simple and quick they are to apply and qualify for in Alberta. Despite this, there are a few things you should look to do to ensure you have a great chance at qualifying for a short-term loan:
- Ensure that your credit score and credit report are in good standing. While not every short term loan requires a credit check, some will, and you want to be prepared for that.
- The more lenders you visit and connect with in Alberta, the better. Each lender will have their own terms and rates, so you want to search around until you find a lender you are comfortable with.
- Your finances should look clean. You should have no (or a small manageable amount) of existing debt and you want to make sure you will be able to keep up with the payments without defaulting.
Want to know how ongoing debt would affect you? Take a look at our debt timetable.
Short Term Loans FAQs
Of course, you want to learn as much about a loan option before you decide to go with it. In an effort to help in that regard, we have decided to include a short FAQ with some common questions and concerns about short term loans.
What Are the Interest Rates on Short Term Loans?
The actual interest rate you will get will depend on how risky or safe the lender thinks you are. The riskier you are, the higher your interest rate will be. Normally, the rates for short term loans are generally higher than interest rates on other loans like a mortgage or car loan.
If you’re about to go shopping for low-interest rates, read this first.
Are There Guaranteed Approval Short Term Loans?
When looking for a loan, being approved is the most important thing on your mind. As a result, when a lender says they offer a “guaranteed approval” loan, it can be enticing. However, no one can guarantee the approval of a loan as it depends on so many different factors. If they do, there is a good chance it is a scam.
To know how you can avoid a loan insurance scam, click here.
How Much Can I Get With a Short Term Loan?
Generally, these loans can fetch anywhere from $100 up to $2000 dollars. So it isn’t meant for buying a car or home, but more to cover you in the case of emergencies or other unexpected events. As for how much you yourself will actually be able to get, that will depend on your attractiveness as a borrower and how much risk you carry.
Ever wonder what the true cost of borrowing is? Click here.
What is a short-term loan?
Can I get a short-term loan in Alberta if I have bad credit?
What happens if I pay off my short-term loan early?
Alberta Short Term Loans For You
The good thing about short term loans is that there is a wide variety available to you in Alberta and beyond. No matter your wants or needs out of a loan, we at Loans Canada are confident that we can help you out.