Money Mart Reviews, Ratings And Fees April 2021
- Visit website for store locations/hours
Who is Money Mart?
Founded in Edmonton, Alberta in 1982, Money Mart is a lending institution that specializes in different types of credit products and financial services, such as:
- Installment Loans
- Cash Advances
- Payday Loans
- Business Loans
- Currency Exchanges
- Western Union® Money Transfers
- Bill Payments
- Cheque Cashing
- Titanium+® Prepaid Mastercards
Today, Money Mart has more than 500 service locations and employs over 2,000 Canadians across the country. They also have a website where you can apply for financing and get approved in as little as two hours. So, if you’re looking to acquire some quick cash to pay for something that’s important to you, Money Mart is a full-service provider with more than 30 years of experience in the financial industry.
Types of Loans Offered at Money Mart
Money Mart currently offers two primary financial products:
Ranging from $1,000 to $15,000, a Money Mart installment loan can be funded the same day you apply. They can have repayment terms of 12 – 60 months and a variety of payment frequencies (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, semi-monthly). Payments will be automatically debited from your bank account. Typically, this option is available in-store or online.
Cash Advance/Payday Loans
Ranging from $120 – $1,500, a Money Mart cash advance (also known as a payday loan) can be acquired via direct deposit within a few hours of applying. Once the money is in your bank account, you’ll have up to 2 months to repay it (plus fees and interest) in a single lump sum. Normally, these loans are only available in-store (although exceptions may be possible during unexpected situations like COVID-19).
Other Products Offered by Money Mart
While installment loans and cash advances/payday loans are their main products, Money Money also offers the following loan options and financial services:
In partnership with Thinking Capital, Money Mart also offers small business loans that you can use to finance all kinds of short-term costs. Choose a repayment plan that works for you and get a no-obligation quote within 24 hours. If you qualify, you should receive your loan money within 3 – 5 days.
This in-store service can help you cash different kinds of cheques right away, instead of having to wait several days, like you would with a bank or credit union. The types of cheques Money Mart can help you cash include but aren’t limited to government, insurance, personal, and post-dated.
Titanium+® Prepaid Mastercards
Unlike a normal credit card, the Titanium+ Mastercard allows you to add funds from your bank account directly onto your card. This way, you can shop in-store, online or over the phone and get all the advantages of a credit card without the usual interest charges and credit hassles.
Western Union® Money Transfers
Money Mart is connected to more than 500,000 Western Union service locations in over 200 territories and countries across the globe. This way, you can transfer and receive money internationally or domestically without the need for a membership, credit card or bank account.
Use Money Mart to exchange 26 different currencies, such as USD, EUR, and AUD. Rates are competitive and when you purchase Euros or US Dollars, you will receive Money Mart’s Buy Back Guarantee for only $4.99 (you’ll get the same rate when selling back your unused funds).
You can also use Money Mart’s TelPay e-payment service to pay your bills from more than 2,400 different companies. Safe and secure, no need for cheques, stamps or envelopes, all you have to do is pay a standard fee of $1.99 per bill payment and Money Mart will handle the rest of the transaction.
Advantages of Money Mart
There are plenty of benefits to using Money Mart, including but not limited to:
- Bad Credit is Accepted – Have a low credit score of 300 – 600? Don’t worry, Money Mart can approve you for financing if you have a sufficient income.
- Unsecured Loans Are Offered – You don’t have to risk losing any collateral or endangering a cosigner, because none of Money Mart’s loans require any.
- Fast Funding is Available – If you qualify, Money Mart loans can be deposited via Interac e-Transfer or direct deposit in as little as two hours after approval.
- Quick and Easy Application – Applying for a Money Mart loan is relatively simple and can be completed online or in-person within a few minutes.
- No Prepayment Penalties – Unlike some lending companies, Money Mart does not charge any extra fees for paying your loan debt ahead of schedule.
- Numerous Locations – Not only can you easily apply online, Money Mart has a ton of service points scattered across many of Canada’s major cities and areas.
Disadvantages of Money Mart
As helpful as Money Mart can be, it’s also important to consider their drawbacks:
- High-Interest Rates – Money Mart’s biggest downside is that they can charge higher interest rates (sometimes more than 45% APR).
- High Fees – Money Mart can also charge some pretty hefty service and administrative fees for their loans (around $150 for every $1,000 you borrow).
- Not Available in Every Province/Territory – Although Money Mart’s services can be accessed in many major locations, they are NOT available in
- Northwest Territories
How Do You Qualify For a Loan With Money Mart?
Qualifying for a loan normally requires different levels of personal and financial aptitude. Thankfully, Money Mart has a simple application process that can be quickly done online or in-person with minimal requirements. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Be past the age of majority in your province (at least 18 – 19 years old)
- Possess a Canadian chequing account (with direct deposit)
- Have a steady source of income for at least a few months
To complete the application and approval process, you may also have to submit various personal and financial documents, such as:
- Government photo identification (passport, driver’s license, etc.)
- A utility bill or other proof of your permanent Canadian address
- A pre-authorized debit form or VOID cheque (for deposits and withdrawals)
- Your most recent bank statements, pay stubs or other proof of your income
Can I take out two cash advances/payday loans at the same time with Money Mart?
Can my credit score affect my ability to get approved for a Money Mart loan?
What expenses can I use my Money Mart loan to pay off?
- Financial emergencies (lack of rent, home repairs, etc.)
- Groceries and household supplies
- Vehicle payments & expenses (gas, maintenance, etc.)
- Vacations & travel costs
- Consolidation of unpaid debts & bills
- Other home-related costs (property taxes, utilities, etc.)
What is a loan agreement?
What’s the difference between an installment loan and a cash advance?
Looking For a Fast and Easy Way to Pay For Your Expenses?
Money Mart may be the perfect source of financing for you. Before you apply, be sure to speak with one of their customer service representatives and research to confirm that their products are right for you.
Rate & Terms
Requirements & Documents
|$1,000 - $15,000||19 years of age or older Active chequing account Steady income|
Is Money Mart legit or a scam? See what others have to say.
The store on Wyandotte and Pillette has amazing staff. I highly recommend going here for all your needs.
Money mart on Fallowfield Rd (Barrhaven): the service is excellent, Staff (Eze) is polite and friendly.
This is a trusted service provider in Canada.
I got a loan with them recently. The fees are ridiculous.
The provider displayed on this page has not endorsed this listing.
Want to show off your rating on your website? Copy the code below to embed our review widget on your website.