To help you navigate post-CERB Canada, here is everything you need to know about what government help is available to you in 2022.
When times are tight and options seem limited, what sounds better than a $50,000 personal loan? After all, so many lenders put out flashy ads saying how easily you could qualify. It almost sounds too good to be true — and that just might be the case. Best case scenario: you get the loan. Worst case scenario: you take a small hit to your credit and waste your time chasing a mirage. To avoid getting caught off guard financially, it’s important to gather all relevant information before deciding whether or not to apply.
Check out the best reasons to give when applying for a personal loan.
Can You Qualify For a $50,000 Personal Loan?
$50,000 is a large sum of money. Lenders are only able to offer loan services when they are able to turn a profit. In order to do that, they aim to lend to low-risk borrowers. That means you need to meet all the necessary criteria to qualify — difficult, but not impossible. You must have:
- A good credit score: Your personal credit score tells lenders a lot about your borrowing history. The higher the credit score, the easier it will be to get a loan.
- High income on a regular basis: Being able to prove that you have a steady, well-paying job will better your chances of getting a personal loan. It shows lenders that you are able to repay the amount.
- Low debt-to-income ratio: This refers to how much of your income goes toward paying any debt you might have. The lower this ratio, the more money you have to pay off the loan for which you are applying.
Even if you meet all the above requirements, your ability to qualify for the loan will still depend on the economic landscape. If lenders are guarding their interests more prudently, you may also need collateral. You can use the equity in your home or a vehicle for this purpose. The value of the collateral secures the loan, meaning if you default, it becomes the property of the lender and they can use it to recuperate their money.
Personal Loan Calculator
Can You Qualify For A 50k Personal Loan With Bad Credit?
Technically, yes, you can qualify with bad credit. However, there are some risks associated with this type of loan. For starters, it will come with a cost. Most lenders will increase their interest rates for borrowers who have bad credit. This means you may end up paying substantially more interest on the loan, just because your credit is less than perfect.
You may also be asked to provide a cosigner to sign the loan agreement with you. A cosigner needs to have better credit and take on the responsibility of making the loan payments if you can’t. If you’re unable to keep up with the loan payments, both of your credit scores could be negatively affected.
Watch out for these hidden fees in personal loan contracts.
How Do You Increase Your Odds Of Approval For A 50k Loan?
Make Your Payments – It’s no secret that the better your credit the greater your chances of approval. So before applying for a loan, try your best to make your payments on time and in full. Your payment history usually has the biggest impact on your credit score, so keeping up with your payments may boost it enough to help you qualify for the loan. Moreover, this will help decrease your overall debt, which will lower your debt-to-income ratio, which is another important factor lenders consider when approving applicants.
Lower Your Credit Utilization Ratio – Your credit utilization ratio can also have a big impact on your credit score. It typically accounts for 30% of your credit score and can negatively impact your credit if it’s too high. Generally, a credit utilization ratio of 30% and below is ideal when it comes to building good credit.
Increase Your Income – Your income may be the most important factor when evaluating your creditworthiness. Most lenders will deny you a loan if you don’t meet their minimum income threshold. Typically lenders will look at your income from the last 3 months, so by increasing your income (even if just temporarily) through odd jobs, you may be able to qualify for a higher amount. However, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t borrow more than you can afford as it can cause financial problems down the road.
Best Personal Loan Lenders
|Type of Loan|
|Up to $35,000||26.99% - 39.99%||6 - 60||Secured & unsecured||More Info|
|Up to $15,000||29.99% - 46.96%||9 - 60||Personal loan||More Info|
|$5,000 - $35,000||5.9% - 45.9%||12 - 60||Personal loan||More Info|
|$1,000 -$35,000||5.99% - 29.19%||36 – 60||Persona loan||More Info|
|Up to $5,000||19.9% - 45.9%||3 - 36||Personal loan||More Info|
|Up to $10,000||43%||36 - 60||Guarantor loan||More Info|
Tips When Applying For A 50k Loan
After assessing the potential risks and rewards of applying, you may decide that it’s the right path for your financial landscape. If that’s the case, then there are some measures you can take to make the application process easier.
- Compare lenders: There’s plenty of fish in the sea, so don’t settle for the first lender you see. Consult a loan comparison platform to investigate different rates. It might take a bit of extra time, but finding competitive interest rates can result in significant savings. Also, consider the reputation of the lender themselves and judge whether you are comfortable dealing with them on something as high-stakes as a loan.
- Check eligibility: Before you submit applications, determine whether you actually qualify. Take a look at your credit score and consider your income. Lenders will state the criteria to get a loan, so before you invest your time, make sure that you are eligible for acceptance.
- Monitor your credit: When you apply for a loan, they look at your credit. $50,000 is a large sum and requires more than a soft credit check. Every time someone looks into your credit profile, it lowers your score by a few points (although some borrowers may see a more significant drop). Only apply for loans you are able to qualify for and serious about using.
- Remember fees: In order to recuperate their funds and actually turn a profit, they charge several fees. Not only are there late fees on default payments, but there are also penalties for prepayments. Origination fees are taken straight out of your loan proceeds, and there are others that can be written into the fine print on your agreement. Be sure to read it carefully and plan for any potential expenses.
Can I get a 50k loan without a credit check?
Can I get a 50k loan from a bank with bad credit?
How much interest would I pay on a 50k loan with a 3-year term and an interest rate of 5%?
Qualifying for a $50,000 personal loan is challenging if you have anything less than good credit and a very well-paying job. While there are many approaches to getting this type of loan, they often come with a higher price tag when you factor in interest and fees. Before you decide to apply, make sure you have a game plan for repayment. If possible, spend some time improving your credit and reducing your debt-to-income ratio. By working on your overall financial standing, you can get better loan terms and see substantial savings on loans over the long term.
Rating of 5/5 based on 2 votes.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
Earn 5% Cash Back With Neo
Earn an average 5%¹ cash back at thousands of partners and at least 1%² cashback guaranteed.
Build Credit With Refresh Financial
Build credit while spending money with the Refresh Financial VISA card.
In an industry that doesn’t often put the consumer first, Lexop is changing the way companies manage their collection process.