We are awarding $750 to a student every semester. All you have to do is show us how financial literacy has made a difference in your life.
Have you finally decided to turn your passion or expertise into a viable business? Great! But starting a business takes a certain amount of capital.
From the physical establishment to the equipment, to employers, to marketing and beyond, starting a business can be expensive when you’re trying to get it off the ground and running.
Luckily, there are startup business loans available to help you start your business from the ground up. Read on to find out more about these specialized loan products and how they can help you realize your dreams of starting and operating your very own business.
Avoid these common business loan application mistakes.
Startup Business Loan Options
Not every business is the same, and as such, there are different startup business loan products available. Here are a few of the options you may want to consider based on your specific type of business.
A business loan that does not require collateral is a form of an unsecured loan. These loans are riskier to lenders, and they tend to come with a higher interest rate to offset this risk.
Business loans that require collateral to back up the loan are secured loans. You can put up a valuable asset to collateralize the loan. This includes your accounts receivables, machinery, or any other tangible business asset. Just keep in mind that you could lose that asset if you default on the loan. While secured loans are a risker option, they are easier to qualify for and can land you a lower interest rate.
Merchant Cash Advance
If your company accepts credit card payments from customers, a merchant cash advance can be helpful. With this product, you would be granted a lump sum amount from your lender in exchange for a percentage of future credit card sales. This form of credit is extremely expensive but fast and easy to qualify for. Moreover, your payments will adjust according to your credit card sales, which makes it a good option for those who experience high and low seasons.
An equipment loan is a form of a secured loan. An equipment loan actually uses the equipment you buy to run your business as collateral for the loan. This form of credit is easy to qualify for and typically has low rates. However, it’s important to remember that lenders will usually finance up to 80% to 90% of the equipment. Meaning you’ll have to finance the other 10% – 20% or find another lender to lend you the rest. Like a regular business loan, you’ll make monthly payments for a period of time. Once the loan amount is paid in full, you will outright own the equipment.
Line Of Credit
Somewhat like a credit card, this type of revolving credit allows you to borrow any amount of money up to a certain limit whenever the need arises. Once you pay back the amount you borrowed, you can borrow against the credit line again and again, only paying interest on the amount withdrawn. This is a great option if you need to cover cash flow issues from time to time without having to constantly take out a new loan.
Factors To Consider When Applying For A Startup Business Loan
When you take out a startup business loan, you’ll be committed for a certain amount of time. And during that time, you’ll be required to make regular timely payments.
As such, you’ll want to make sure you take out the right loan. To do that, you may want to look at specific factors of business loans, including the following:
- Interest rate – The rate that you are charged on your loan will determine exactly how much you owe in total. The lower the rate, the less you’ll have to pay. Even a fraction of a percent in interest can mean the difference of thousands of dollars overall. That’s why you should absolutely look at the APR, which includes the interest rate as well as any fees that the lender may charge.
- Qualifying requirements – Every type of loan may have its own set of criteria that must be met in order for you to get approved. Make sure to find out what these requirements are before you apply.
- Processing time – Startup business loans sometimes take longer to process compared to other types of loans. While some loans can be processed within a week, startup business loans can take up to a month or more, so you’ll need to be prepared for this.
- Collateral – A secured startup business loan will require collateral to back up the loan. This can include your home equity, your vehicle title, or the equipment you use for your business.
- Loan amount – Make sure you understand how much you need to start your business so you don’t get stuck owing more than you needed to borrow, or with a loan that’s not adequate enough.
Calculate Your Business Loan Payments
What Are The Startup Business Loan Eligibility Requirements?
Like any other type of loan, a startup business loan has certain requirements that you’ll need to meet in order to qualify. That said, the requirements may vary depending on your credit health and the lender:
- Good credit score. Conventional lenders like to see borrowers with a credit score of at least 650 before considering granting a loan. Some lender may even check your business credit score.
- A sound business plan. Your lender will want to see that you’ve put in some effort to come up with an in-depth business plan that outlines what your experience is in the industry, where you plan to take your business once you start it, and how much money you need to cover all relevant expenses.
- No delinquencies or bankruptcies in the recent past. Your credit report will be pulled when you apply for a startup business loan. And in addition to your credit score, your lender will be able to see if you’ve had any recent delinquencies or bankruptcies. If so, this could hamper your ability to secure a loan.
Review Your Finances And Gather Your Documents
Applying for a business loan is no easy feat, especially as a young business. Reviewing your finances ahead of time will help you in your search for lenders by choosing ones whose minimum requirements you meet. You can also gather all the necessary documents needed for a business loan to ensure you don’t forget to submit any when applying.
Compare Business Lenders
You can compare business lenders and their loan offers by using a loan comparison platform. These platforms allow you to compare multiple loan quotes from different lenders by submitting a single application. You can then review your offers and choose the lender you wish to work with.
Once you know who you want to work with, you may need to provide some additional information to complete the application. Once you’ve reviewed and signed the loan agreement, your lender will transfer you the funds.
How Much Does It Cost To Start A Business?
The amount of money needed to start a new business can vary a great deal. To help you determine roughly how much you can expect to spend, here are some steps for calculation:
Consider your startup expenses – Here are some one-time costs you should factor in:
- Website design
- Supplies and equipment
- Payroll expenses
- Lawyer fees
Factor in the assets required – Certain assets will need to be purchased at the forefront, including the following:
Estimate ongoing operational costs – To keep business running smoothly, you’ll need to dish out a certain amount of money per month to cover any one of the following:
Tally up all of these expenses to come with the amount you request from your lender in the form of a startup business loan.
How much can I borrow through a startup business loan?
What is the loan term for startup business loans?
Can I get a startup business loan with no credit check?
Do lenders check your personal credit?
How do I increase my chances of getting a business loan?
Applying for a startup business loan is a great way to get the financing you need to get your business off the ground. In order to get approved for a loan that best suits your needs, it’s important to come up with a business plan and make sure your finances are in order.
If you’re ready to take out a startup business loan, call Loans Canada and we’ll put you in touch with the right lender. Get in touch with Loans Canada today!
Rating of 5/5 based on 3 votes.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
50 Free Trades Offer
Almost $500 in commission-free trades. Code “50TRADESFREE”. Conditions apply.
Borrow Today, Don’t Pay Till July
Borrow $500-$50,000 from Fairstone by May 31 and don’t pay until July.
Build Credit With Refresh
Build credit while spending money with the Refresh Financial VISA card.
Check out our interview with addy; a platform that allows Canadians to invest in different properties across Canada with as little as $1.