Aeroplan is a well-known travel rewards program run by Air Canada. The Aeroplan program boasts millions of members and is considered Canada’s top travel loyalty program.
By joining the Aeroplan program, you will earn Aeroplan points whenever you spend your money. Aeroplan points don’t have a fixed cash value, but they can be redeemed for things like flights, hotels, vacation packages, merchandise, and gift cards. The most popular way to use Aeroplan points is to redeem them for flights and travel-related expenses.
Types Of Aeroplan Cards
The fastest and most efficient way to collect Aeroplan points is to sign up for an Aeroplan credit card. These cards earn you an average of one point for every dollar you spend using them. Plus, if you shop with Aeroplan-affiliated partners, you can earn double the points.
Three financial institutions offer Aeroplan credit cards: Toronto-Dominion (TD), American Express, and the Canadian Bank of Imperial Commerce (CIBC). Their credit cards vary in features and benefits, so take some time to familiarize yourself with them before selecting one.
Here is an overview of Aeroplan credit cards:
American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card
This card offers up to 65,000 in welcome bonus points and rewards you 35,000 points if you spend $3,000 during your first three months of membership. You can also earn 5,000 points for each monthly period where you spend $1,000 on the card during your first six months of membership. The points system works as follows: 3 points for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations; 2 points for every $1 spent on dining and food delivery; 1 point for $1 spent on everything else. The annual fee is $599.
American Express Aeroplan Card
This card will reward you with 15,000 welcome bonus points when you sign up. You can earn 9,000 points after spending $1,500 during the first three months of membership. It also has a one-time feature called Buddy Pass, which allows you to receive a free ticket for a friend or family member to take on a trip. The points system works as follows: 2 points for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations; 1.5 points for every $1 spent on dining and food delivery; and 1 point for $1 spent on everything else. The annual fee is $120.
Check out these credit cards for mobile insurance.
TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card
This card offers a welcome bonus of up to 20,000 points (if you apply by Jan 03, 2023). You also get an annual fee rebate in your first year as a cardholder. The points system works as follows: 1 point for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada, Air Canada Vacations, and gas and groceries; 1 point for every $1.50 spent on other purchases. The annual fee is $89.
Having a hard time qualifying for a credit card? Check out these secured credit cards.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite
This card offers a welcome bonus of 50,000 points (if you apply by Jan 03, 2023) and an annual fee rebate in your first year. You can also earn a one-time Air Canada Buddy Pass to bring a friend or family member along on a free trip. The points system works as follows: 1.5 points for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations; 1.5 points for every $1 spent on gas and groceries; and 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases. The annual fee is $139.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card
This card offers a welcome bonus of 105,000 points when you make your first purchase. It also offers the same Buddy Pass feature provided on the regular Visa Infinite card. You can earn 30,000 points if you spend $1,000 within three months of activating the card. The points system works as follows: 2 points for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations; 1.5 points for every $1 spent on travel, dining, gas, and groceries; and 1.25 points for every $1 spent on other purchases. The annual fee is $599.
Are you a student with a limited income? Check out these student-friendly credit cards.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Credit Card
This card doesn’t offer any welcome bonus points or special promotions. The points system works as follows: 1 point for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations; 1 point for every $1.50 spent on other purchases. The card has no annual fee.
Learn more on how you can use your credit card to improve your credit.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
This card doesn’t offer any welcome bonus points or special promotions. The points system works as follows: 1.5 points for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada, Air Canada Vacations, gas and groceries; 1 point for every $1 spent on other purchases. The annual fee is $139.
CBIC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card
This card doesn’t offer any welcome bonus points or special promotions. The points system works as follows: 2 points for every $1 spent on purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations; 1.5 points for every $1 spent on gas, groceries, travel, and dining; 1.25 points for every $1 spent on other purchases. The annual fee is $599.
Why Shop With Aeroplan Partners?
Targeting your spending on Aeroplan-affiliated partners will help maximize the points you collect on each purchase – and if you pay with an Aeroplan credit card, you can earn double the points. You can also take advantage of special promotions or flyer deals offered by Aeroplan partners to accumulate bonus points.
Airline Aeroplan Partners
- Air China
- Air Quebec
- Aer Lingus
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Air Serbia
- Austrian Airlines
- Gulf Air
- Middle East Airlines
- SriLankan Airlines
- Turkish Airlines
- Virgin Australia
Travel Aeroplan Partners
- Air Canada Vacations
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Best Western
- Choice Hotels
- Hilton Honors
- ParK’N Fly
- Coast Hotels
- Rocky Mountaineer
- Wyndham Rewards
Retail Aeroplan Partners
- American Eagle
- Banana Republic
How Do You Earn Aeroplan Points Fast?
Here are some ways to quickly rack up Aeroplan points:
- Shop with Aeroplan partners only (or as much as you can) – Be strategic with your spending by shopping almost exclusively with Aeroplan partners.
- Look for special deals – Keep an eye out for special promotions or flyer deals, as they grant more points than regular purchases. You can also garner lump sum points when you purchase certain promotional items offered for a limited time.
- Find a card with a low fee and high return – Use a card that enables you to collect the most points at the lowest annual fee. If annual fees aren’t a concern for you, consider paying more for a premium card to maximize your return on points. Choose a card with a generous welcome bonus or a time-sensitive promotion that lets you earn extra points.
- Order Aeroplan cards for family and friends – You can set up your friends and family members with Aeroplan cards and link their cards to yours. Linking the cards will allow you to earn points from purchases they make.
Consider getting a credit card with a low interest rate if you struggle with credit card debt.
Types of Aeroplan Partners
Aeroplan partners are a network of airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, and retailers that are part of the Aeroplan rewards program. You earn Aeroplan points by shopping at their stores or using their services.
Aeroplan has 42 airline partners you can use to collect points whenever you book a flight with them. The airlines are divided by location:
- Canada & US – includes United Airlines and Central Mountain Air.
- Central and South America – includes Avianca and Copa Airlines.
- Europe – includes Lufthansa and Scandinavian Airlines.
- Africa, India, & Middle East – includes Air India and Turkish Airlines.
- Asia and Pacific – includes Air China and Eva Air.
There are 18 travel partners under the Aeroplan program, which includes services for accommodation, transportation, and vacation packages.
- Accommodation – You can book your stay with high-end and mid-range hotel chains to earn points. Popular brands include Best Western, Wyndham, and Coast Hotels.
- Transportation – You can receive special deals and discounts with car rental agencies Budget, Avis, and Payless, and earn points when you park your vehicle at Park’N Fly or Park & Jet locations.
- Vacation Packages – You can earn points when you book vacations through Air Canada Vacations.
Check out these credit cards for airport lounge access.
Aeroplan has 159 retail partners for you to choose from, offering a broad range of services and merchandise you can purchase to collect points. Many retailers can be conveniently accessed through the Aeroplan eStore. Some of the items you can buy include:
- Fashion and accessories – include brands like H&M, Michael Kors, Gap, and Coach.
- Entertainment and games – include brands like Apple, Microsoft, and Disney +.
- Electronics – include brands like Dell, Bose, HP, and Lenovo.
- Sports and fitness – include brands like Atmosphere, Fitbit, and Sport Chek.
- Beauty and wellness – include brands like Aveda, Estee Lauder, Sephora, and The Body Shop.
You can also buy furniture, toys, travel accessories, kitchen and dining products, etc., and access many useful services.
Enjoy earning points and cash back? Check out the ampli app.
What Can You Use Your Aeroplan Points For?
You can use Aeroplan points on flights, hotels, travel activities, car rentals, vacation packages, merchandise, and gift cards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Aeroplan points better than cashback?
Do Aeroplan points expire?
Who offers Aeroplan Points?
If your goal is to collect as many Aeroplan points as possible – and fast – your best bet is to obtain an Aeroplan credit card and shop extensively with Aeroplan partners. With the right card and some strategic spending decisions, you’ll earn a massive number of points in no time.