Take out a Fairstone loan between November 17th to 30th, 2021, and you won’t have to make a loan payment until next year.
Intact Insurance (a member company of Intact Financial Corporation) began in the early 1800s as a fire insurance company in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Today, they have over 4 million clients Canada-wide. This, coupled with their expansive network of insurance brokers makes them the largest home, business and car insurance provider in the country.
Types Of Home Insurance Offered By Intact
Intact is mainly known for providing home insurance, of which there are several types:
Provided by My Home and me®, this policy gives you a single limit of $2 million in coverage for your home and possessions, plus $2 million in liability insurance for lawsuits and other expenses. Once you file a claim, you can spend it on almost anything, like replacements and rebuilds.
This covers you, your condo unit and your belongings after a fire, personal liability or other event stops you from living there. Intact will connect you with a broker to find you the best offer possible. Umbrella liability insurance is also available for condo owners who serve on their building’s Board of Directors.
Intact offers two kinds of insurance for cottages. “Basic Coverage” protects seasonal cabins and belongings but you have to buy extra insurance for detached buildings such as boathouses. “Broad Coverage” offers longer protection for all-season cottages and possessions, detached buildings included.
As a renter, your personal possessions aren’t covered by your landlord’s property insurance. Luckily, Intact can help you get belonging and personal liability coverage through their broker network. You can even bundle your tenant insurance with other policies (auto, etc.) to access better rates. Rented Dwellings Insurance – If you’re renting out a residential property, Intact can offer you two kinds of insurance. Rented Dwelling Comprehensive provides full coverage for all the standard risks, while Rented Dwelling Fire and Extended covers your property against vandalism and other dangers. To qualify, you must:
- Own the rental dwelling
- Be regularly involved in maintaining the property
- Have no more than 2 mortgages per rental property
- Have not made more than 1 property claim within the last 5 years
Home-Based Business Insurance
Intact can also help you obtain affordable coverage for your home business through their broker network. Similar to Home or Rented Dwellings Insurance, eligible items include most properties and possessions that are of value or necessity to your business, such as:
- Goods & Stock
- Tools & Equipment
Advantages Of Intact Home Insurance
Here are some of the main benefits to buying your home insurance through Intact:
- Speedy Claims Process – If you’re looking to file a claim over the phone, Intact can help you get it done fast with their 30 Minute Claims Guarantee.
- Highly Accessible – Intact works with over 6000 brokers across Canada. You can also get your insurance documents and submit claims 24/7 online or in-app.
- Discounts Are Possible – There are several ways to get a cheaper premium on your home, car or business insurance, such as bundling insurance packages.
- Customer Service – Use the Intact app or call their toll-free number to get fast 24/7 roadside assistance, real-time claims status updates or contact your broker.
Disadvantages Of Intact Home Insurance
Intact Insurance has a few important drawbacks to be aware of too, including:
- Eligibility Requirements Vary By Location – While Intact has a large broker network, different qualification rules may apply in every province and territory.
- Availability Also Varies By Location – Unfortunately, Intact doesn’t offer every type of home, car or business insurance package in every part of Canada either.
- Water Damage Isn’t Covered – At the moment, Intact Home Insurance doesn’t offer coverage for losses sustained due to water, such as floods or burst pipes.
Cost Of Buying Home Insurance Through Intact
The monthly or yearly cost of an insurance policy can vary depending on several factors. For example, Intact calculates your home insurance premium according to:
- The age, condition and location of your home
- How many years you’ve been living on the property
- How much coverage you need for your buildings and belongings
- The property’s distance from the nearest fire-fighting service
- Whether you work at home or run a home-based business
- The method you use to heat your home (natural gas, electricity, etc.)
- How many insurance claims you’ve filed previously
Ways To Save Money On Your Intact Home Insurance
Although the price of home insurance can be pretty board, there are a few ways to reduce the cost of your premium but keep the same level of coverage:
- Bundle Deals – As mentioned, one of the best ways to score a lower premium through Intact is by combining certain forms of insurance, like home and auto.
- Get a Yearly Premium – If you pay a yearly premium rather than a monthly one for home insurance coverage, Intact won’t charge you interest or service fees.
- Speak to Your Broker – Most insurance brokers in the Intact network will be able to find any discounts you qualify for, especially if you are claims-free.
- Negotiate – Ask your broker for a more flexible level of coverage or switch providers when your policy ends to avoid a late fee and snag potential discounts.
- Improve Your Property – You can also get a better premium by maintaining your roof, plumbing and HVAC system or taking preventive measures like installing a:
- Water Sensor
- Alarmed Sump-Pump
- Tankless Water Heater
- Alarmed Security System
- Main Line Backwater Valve
What Is Synchro Insurance?
One of the most popular products that Intact offers is Synchro Insurance. This involves combining your home and auto insurance policies, which gives you more extensive coverage and a discount of up to 15% on your home insurance premium.
With Synchro Insurance through Intact, you also get the following benefits:
- No deductible required after a total loss or damage from a hit-and-run
- Only one deductible required if you file a claim for both your home and car
- A $15,000 life insurance payout after a fatal auto collision
- Package is also applicable if your spouse owns the home or vehicle
- Up to $60,000 to cover damages to rented or borrowed vehicles
- Up to $1,000 in coverage for new locks if your home or car keys get stolen
- Up to $75 in coverage per day for vehicle rentals (to a maximum of $2,250), plus $750 for extra costs if a covered loss stops you from using the vehicle
Other Types Of Insurance That Intact Offers
Remember, while Intact is known for their top-quality home insurance, they can connect you with other forms of insurance through their broker network, such as:
- Vehicle Insurance – Intact can offer you coverage, assistance and replacement insurance for most personal vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, boats, ATVs and snowmobiles. The amount and kinds of coverage you qualify for can depend on several factors, like your age, vehicle type, previous claims and driver history.
- Business Insurance – Intact can also provide insurance for businesses in three categories; Contractors & Construction, Professional & Technical Services and Personal Care & Beauty. Coverage you can get includes commercial or mobile property, commercial general liability, equipment, vehicles and surety bonds.
Visit the Intact website or speak to a customer service agent to learn what types of coverage you’re eligible for under different business and vehicle insurance policies.
Does Intact Insurance have a mobile app?
Will I get a discount if I bundle my home and car insurance?
What does replacement cost cover?
How do I make a payment at Intact?
Looking For Home Insurance? Consider Intact
If you’re searching for an easy and affordable way to insure your home, vehicle or business, Intact Insurance may be the perfect provider and brokerage network for you. Check out the Intact website for more information about their insurance packages and remember that getting coverage for your most valuable properties is never a bad idea.
Rating of 5/5 based on 2 votes.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
Build Credit With Refresh Financial
Build credit while spending money with the Refresh Financial VISA card.
Build Credit For $7/Month
With KOHO’s prepaid VISA card you can build a better credit score for just $7/month.
goPeer — Helping Consumers Achieve Financial Freedom by Connecting Canadians Looking For Financing With Canadians Looking to Invest
goPeer is Canada's first consumer peer to peer lending platform and connects creditworthy Canadians looking for a loan with everyday Canadians looking...