With the rise of robo-advisors like Wealthsimple, Questrade, Justweath and other investing platforms, investing has become more accessible to Canadians with different levels of income. According to a 2020 BMO study, 77% of Canadians now have investments. However, the study also states that millennials are more likely to hold their savings in cash instead of investing it. While cash holdings can be good for short-term goals, it can cause you to lose out on building long-term wealth. To help you better invest, platforms like Simply Wall St help provide information about different stocks so you can strategically diversify your investment portfolio.
Who Is Simply Wall St?
Simply Wall St is a financial startup founded in Sydney, Australia. It was founded to turn difficult-to-understand financial data into straightforward infographics so that people can become better investors. The Simply Wall St platform is used to evaluate a company’s stock by analyzing the company’s value, past performance, future growth, dividend distribution and financial health, so that investors can be better informed.
New to investing? Check out our beginner’s guide to investing.
Simply Wall St Features
Simply Wall St offers several features that would help any investor gather the information they need to assess a company and decide whether they are a solid investment. These accessible and easy-to-use features also make it easy for investors to set up their portfolios and keep tabs on the performance of the stocks they’ve invested in.
- Stock Screener – This feature allows you to screen stocks with a variety of filters to find the stocks you’re looking for. You can screen stocks by metrics such as growth forecasts, financial health, and past performance.
- Investing Ideas – Simply Wall St provides several pre-made filters that will help you find stocks to invest in that match your investment strategy. These investing ideas can be further refined in the stock screener to pick the best stocks.
- Portfolio Tracking – You can track how your portfolio is diversified, how it is weighted, and how it is performing. You can also see your capital gains, any dividends you have earned on your stocks, and how currency has impacted your portfolio using this feature.
- Announcements – The platform’s dashboard lets you see any major analyses and company updates, such as earnings forecasts, price targets, or major financial impacts for a company.
Looking for a safe investment? Consider an ETF.
What Kind Of Information Can You Find On A Company Using Simply Wall St?
The Simply Wall St platform provides investors with a wealth of information that will help them to make better-informed investment decisions.
- Value – A variety of value calculations are performed, including discounted cash flow, price-to-earnings ratio, price/earnings to growth ratio, and price to book ratio.
- Past and Future Performance – You can see historical earnings per share growth, return on equity, return on capital employed, and return on assets as well as projected future earnings growth, revenue, cash flow, earnings, and return on equity with the Simply Wall St platform.
- Dividends – You can learn a lot about a company’s dividend, including dividend yield, dividend amount, a comparison with other dividend payers, as well as a dividend’s volatility and sustainability.
- Financial Health – Simply Wall St analyses companies’ balance sheets and pays particular attention to a company’s debt.
- Insider Transactions – You can see purchases of shares by a company’s board of directors and management as well as CEO compensation.
- Risks and Rewards – One of the great things about the Simply Wall St platform is that you can get a good summary of a stock’s risks and rewards, including projected earnings growth and debt levels.
Looking for more features? Check out the Yahoo Finance Stock Market app.
Cost Of Simply Wall St
There are three Simply Wall St plans to choose from: Free, Premium, and Unlimited. These plans can be purchased on a monthly or annual basis. The Free plan costs nothing, the Premium plan costs USD $15 per month if purchased monthly or USD $10 per month if purchased annually, and the Unlimited Plan costs USD $30 per month if purchased monthly USD $20 per month if purchased annually.
Check out what are the best types of investments in Canada.
Each plan comes up with access to global markets and an unlimited stock watchlist. Depending on your plan, the number of company reports per month and portfolio stocks that are analyzed you get differs. You get five of each on the Free plan, 30 of each on the Premium plan, and unlimited for each on the Unlimited Plan. You get a stock screener with the Premium and Unlimited Plans. You also can export your data to Excel and PDF with the Unlimited plan.
All plans can be cancelled at any time, and they have a 14-day money-back guarantee if you’d like to try the premium or unlimited plan.
|Number Of Company Reports||5||30||unlimited|
|Number Of Portfolio Stocks Analyzed||5||30||unlimited|
|Number Of Stocks You Can Add To Watchlist||5||30||unlimited|
|Excel & PDF Export||No||No||Yes|
Pros And Cons Of Simply Wall St
Simply Wall St has some advantages over other platforms that may appeal to investors and also has some negatives that could deter investors from signing up with the platform.
- In-depth company analysis – The Simply Wall St platform lets you go in-depth to analyze a company. You can look at a company’s fair value, tracking earning forecasts, seeing a company’s financial health, and by looking at the company’s past and future.
- Company announcements – Simply Wall St lets you see announcements for publicly traded companies, such as price targets, share purchases by insiders, and earnings forecasts.
- Compare stocks – You can compare stocks’ returns over several periods against the industry average so you can identify stocks that have experienced strong growth in their respective industry.
- Limited company reports and portfolio stock analyses – You only get five company reports and portfolio stocks analyzed per month with the Free plan, to get more you can upgrade to the Premium or Unlimited plans.
- Costly – While there is a free plan available, the plans with more features cost at least USD $10 per month.
How often does Simply Wall St update?
Is Simply Wall St available in Canada?
How many people use Simply Wall St?
Simply Wall St is a stock research platform that can be used to learn about stocks in an approachable way. Those who want to become better-informed investors using straightforward infographics and data would benefit the most from using the platform. It also has value for more serious investors who require in-depth data, although they may prefer the charts and data generated by other platforms. Overall, the easy-to-understand infographics and data make the platform a valuable tool for any investor.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
goPeer — Helping Consumers Achieve Financial Freedom by Connecting Canadians Looking For Financing With Canadians Looking to Invest
goPeer is Canada's first consumer peer to peer lending platform and connects creditworthy Canadians looking for a loan with everyday Canadians looking...