Petsecure Pet Insurance Review
Loans Canada: The Country's Best Loan Comparison Platform
Having a pet is like having a child. It requires your care, time, effort, and money. Just like a child, sometimes pets come with unexpected expenses, like if they get hurt or sick. These expenses can easily add up and can leave you financially strained. While some people have the money to cover these expenses out of pocket, for most, pet insurance is the way to go.
Who is Petsecure?
Petsecure is a Canadian pet health insurance provider that has been operating for over 30 years. They provide Canadian pet owners with insurance that can put your mind at ease and help keep your wallet full. The company is dedicated to contributing to the wellness of Canadian pets and their owners.
How Does Petsecure Pet Insurance Work?
You can get pet insurance and make a claim through Petsecure in four steps:
- Purchase a plan – Petsecure has plans for four levels of coverage and for different budgets. Get a quote from the company for the plan you want, and then purchase the plan.
- Wait out the waiting period before making a claim – Different issues have different waiting periods before coverage comes into effect. If your pet gets in an accident, you have to wait 48 hours after you purchase coverage before making a claim. For illness, you have to wait 14 days. For dental work, you have to wait six months. Note that Petsecure doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions.
- Make a claim – Take your pet to the vet, pay the bill in full, and have the vet fill out your claim form.
- Submit your claim – Send the claim form and receipts to Petsecure, who will reimburse you through direct deposit or cheque.
Check out some of the most undervalued forms of insurance.
What Does Petsecure Cover?
For each plan, up to 80% of the vet bill, including exam fees and taxes, are covered.
Petsecure also covers the following expenses:
- Alternative treatments like acupuncture and massage
- Accidents and illnesses
- Emergency care and hospitalization
- Dental work
- Medical devices
- Behavioural therapy
- Boarding and kennel fees
- Lost pet advertising
- Holiday cancellation
- Cremation and burial costs
- An in-memoriam donation for deceased pets
Petsecure’s Secure 4 Coverage plan also has wellness coverage that covers things such as annual exams, vaccinations, fleas, heartworm medication, and bloodwork.
What’s Not Covered by Petsecure?
Petsecure doesn’t cover everything. It doesn’t cover any optional treatments, food or special diets, spay or neuter surgery, pregnancy expenses, certain kinds of medications, or any condition where symptoms were showing before the end of the plan’s waiting period.
Find out if buying insurance online is cheaper.
What Types of Insurance Plans Are Available?
Petsecure has four levels of coverage that cover dogs and cats. At this time, Petsecure doesn’t cover other animals. These plans are Secure 1 Coverage, Secure 2 Coverage, Secure 3 Coverage, and Secure 4 Coverage.
- Each level of coverage covers up to 80% of a vet bill including exam fees and taxes.
- For accidents, the Secure 1 Coverage plan covers $1,000 per accident, while the Secure 4 Coverage plan covers unlimited costs per accident.
- For illnesses, the Secure 1 Coverage plan covers $1,000 per condition per year, while the Secure 4 Coverage plan covers unlimited costs per condition per year.
- The Secure 1 Coverage plan covers $200 in dental care per year, and the Secure 4 Coverage plan covers $600 in dental care per year.
- Only the Secure 4 Coverage plan offers wellness coverage. This plan offers $350 in wellness coverage for cats and $450 in wellness coverage for dogs.
The only difference in coverage between the dog and cat plans is the wellness coverage.
Find out if you should use an insurance broker.
Benefits of Choosing Petsecure For Your Pet Insurance
Using Petsecure has several benefits, including:
- Aside from medical and dental expenses, there are extra benefits like boarding and kennel fee coverage, holiday trip cancellation coverage, lost pet advertising, and burial/cremation coverage.
- There are options for unlimited coverage.
- The company offers a multi-pet discount. If you insure three or more pets, you save 10% on your premiums. If you insure six or more pets, you save 15% on your premiums.
- Petsecure offers wellness care coverage through its Secure 4 Coverage plan.
How to Make a Claim With Petsecure
There are three steps to making a claim with Petsecure:
- Get a claim form – Download a claim form from the Petsecure website or get it from your vet’s office.
- Go to the vet – Take your pet to the vet and get them treated. Pay your bill and give the claim form to the vet, who will fill out section 2 of the claim form.
- Send in your claim – Fill out sections 1 and 3 of the claim form and sign it. Send the form to Petsecure by email, fax, or mail.
Petsecure should respond to your claim within 7-10 business days of receiving it.
Need extra cash for your pet expenses? Consider getting an online loan.
Petsecure is for anyone who owns dogs or cats and wants a little extra peace of mind knowing that their pets will be taken care of and that they will be covered financially. Pets can be very expensive – so why not save yourself the headache and spend the few dollars a day it would take to get coverage for your pet?
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
goPeer — Helping Consumers Achieve Financial Freedom by Connecting Canadians Looking For Financing With Canadians Looking to Invest
goPeer is Canada's first consumer peer to peer lending platform and connects creditworthy Canadians looking for a loan with everyday Canadians looking...