Find out if your extra car loan payments will go straight to your principal and how these payments will affect your car loan.
The most effortless way to acquire a job is through a friend, a family member or even a former co-worker who has inside knowledge of an opportunity. Unfortunately, not everyone is fortunate enough to have a job handed to them on a silver platter – most of us have to explore other avenues.
One of the most common methods to uncover job opportunities is to browse job boards. These online search engines list thousands of openings and can be an excellent tool that can help you land your new job if you use them strategically. Today, one of the premier job boards is Indeed, which gathers and presents a vast array of jobs available in the market on any given day.
What Is Indeed?
Indeed is an employment website for job postings. It functions as a search engine exclusively for jobs, where employers can post openings for almost every kind of position. The website also aggregates job listings from thousands of websites, including recruitment firms, job boards, and company hiring pages. In addition, the company offers premium services to employers, providing those who wish to utilize more extensive features to find ideal candidates.
Indeed was founded and launched in 2004 in Austin, Texas, and Stamford, Connecticut. Since then, the company has experienced rapid growth and is currently available in over 60 countries and 28 languages. The company was acquired by Recruit Co. Ltd, a Japan-based human resources company, in 2012.
Today, Indeed is the dominant player in the job aggregator industry, easily eclipsing all other competitors. Over a quarter of a million job seekers visit the website each month, and the company asserts that ten new listings are added to its vast database of jobs every second.
Indeed’s platform contains many valuable features that make it the ideal search engine to use when browsing for jobs, including:
Various filters are available to help narrow your search according to your preferences:
- Date posted – filter for jobs based on the job posting date.
- Remote – filter for jobs that you can work remotely.
- Distance – filter for jobs based on how far you’d be willing to travel to your work location.
- Salary estimate – filter for jobs based on your desired salary.
- Job Type – filter for jobs that are full-time, part-time, temporary, contract, etc.
- Location – filter for jobs in a specific city.
- Company – filter for companies that have an opening for the type of position you’re seeking.
- Job language – filter for job postings in your desired language.
This feature allows you to set up a notification to receive messages in your email when jobs relevant to you are posted on Indeed. To use this function, look for the text box called “Get new jobs for this search by email” that appears after every search result you initiate.
This function enables you to save jobs you’re interested in but don’t wish to apply for just yet. To save a job, click the heart-shaped button that appears near the top of each job posting.
This helpful feature enables you to conduct some in-depth research on prospective employers, including:
- Company history
- General salary details
- Photos of the company’s premises, staff, products, etc.
- Employee reviews regarding compensation, job security, work-life balance, etc.
How To Apply For A Job with Indeed
Applying for a job on Indeed is a straightforward process:
Step 1: Create An Account
Choose a username and password for your Indeed account. You can log in to Indeed using your Google account if you have one.
Step 2: Search For Jobs
To begin your search, navigate to the Indeed homepage, where you’ll find two text boxes labelled “What” and “Where.” In the “What” box, enter specific company names, job titles, job descriptions, and other related keywords. In the “Where” box, enter the name of the city or province where you’re looking to find work. Once complete, click on the “Find Jobs” button, which will display a series of job listings that match your inputted criteria. If you need to narrow your search further, click on “Advanced Job Search” and enter additional criteria.
Step 3: Fill Out Applications!
Once you’ve located a suitable job posting, you can send your application in one of two ways: directly through Indeed’s website or via a redirect to the employer’s website. Listings marked “Apply Now” allow you to complete the entire application process through Indeed’s platform. Completed applications then get forwarded directly to the employer. Listings marked with “Apply On Company Site” will transfer you to the employer’s website, where you’ll have to go through their unique application process. A quick tip: If you anticipate using Indeed frequently, upload your resume to the platform for quick retrieval. Should you have multiple resumes, you can click on the “Apply with a different resume” button during the application process and upload the one you wish to use.
Pros and Cons Of Indeed
Although Indeed is a prominent leader in listing and aggregating job postings, it’s wise to examine both the advantages and disadvantages of using it as a job search tool.
|Indeed Pros||Indeed Cons|
|A vast selection of jobs – more than any other job posting site||High level of competition – job postings can receive hundreds of applicants|
|Clean and user-friendly navigation||The number of job postings can be overwhelming|
|Fast application process||Scammers sometimes slip through and post fake jobs|
|Can use multiple resumes||Many low-quality jobs to sift through|
|Can add a cover letter|
|Site is constantly refined|
Tips On Getting A Job
It’s essential to remember that Indeed is simply a tool to aid you in the job-hunting process. When you discover a job posting that piques your interest, you need to craft a thoughtful and compelling application that will resonate with the employer and increase your chance of securing an interview.
Brush Up Your Resume And Cover Letter
It’s crucial to put time and effort into creating a solid cover letter and resume that presents your qualifications in the best way possible for the position you’re applying for.
Though most employers don’t require cover letters, it’s generally prudent to craft one to stand out from the competition. Keep the following in mind when preparing a cover letter:
- Avoid generic templates. Tailor the letter to the job description and company you’re applying to.
- Brainstorm an attention-grabbing headline.
- Open by introducing yourself and complimenting the company. Limit the introduction to only 2 -3 sentences.
- Explain how your skills, experience, and knowledge would benefit the company.
- Only reference your experience that’s directly relevant to the position.
When it comes to your resume, ensure the details you provide are as relevant as possible to each application. Before you submit your resume, conduct research on the employer and the position they’re looking to fill to fully understand the type of candidate they’re seeking.
Here are some tips for producing a high-response resume:
- List your most recent work experience first and ensure it’s relevant to the job opening.
- Don’t exceed two pages. Include a link to your LinkedIn account if you wish to provide more details.
- Be mindful of what keywords to include. Today, many employers use applicant tracking system (ATS) software to preselect resumes that contain the keywords they’re targeting. Resumes that lack these keywords are automatically disregarded.
- Explain what you accomplished in previous jobs rather than merely listing your job duties. Incorporate specific metrics, if possible.
- Only include the most recent ten years of employment experience.
Prepare For The Interview
A job interview can be a nerve-wracking experience, but it’s a hurdle you need to pass if you’re serious about landing a job. You can make the process smoother by preparing in advance. Here are some quick interview preparation tips:
- Research the company beforehand so you gain an understanding of their core values, culture, and expectations.
- Dress appropriately.
- Make a list of common questions you’re likely to be asked and practise answering them.
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer(s). This shows you’ve researched the company and are genuinely enthusiastic about working there.
Indeed has definitely made its mark when it comes to job aggregators. It lists a colossal number of job openings, and its sparse layout and efficient application process make it a favourite among job seekers.
Indeed’s vast job database is also perhaps its most severe drawback. It’s easy to become overwhelmed with the sheer volume of listings. And because it primarily operates on a freemium business model, the quality of jobs is not always the greatest. There’s a good chance you’ll run into a scam posting at one point, so always take caution and conduct additional research on a listing before applying.
Overall, if there’s only one job board you’re going to use, Indeed is, more often than not, the best choice.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
50 Free Trades Offer
Almost $500 in commission-free trades. Code “50TRADESFREE”. Conditions apply.
Earn 5% Cash Back With Neo
Earn an average 5%¹ cash back at thousands of partners and at least 1%² cashback guaranteed.
Build Credit With Refresh
Build credit while spending money with the Refresh Financial VISA card.
Check out our interview with addy; a platform that allows Canadians to invest in different properties across Canada with as little as $1.