Find out if your extra car loan payments will go straight to your principal and how these payments will affect your car loan.
Formerly owned by PC Financial, Simplii Financial™ was rebranded after it was taken over entirely by CIBC in late 2017 following the ending of the partnership between the bank and Loblaws (PC’s parent company). While PC still holds its Mastercard product, the company has gotten out of the online banking business. Following the change, about two million PC Financial customers moved over to the online-only bank, which has become one of the most trusted digital banking platforms in Canada.
Simplii Financial offers an impressive array of financial products, including their no-fee bank account and a variety of loan and investment products.
Let’s take a closer look at Simplii Financial’s many products and services to help you determine if this online bank is right for you.
What Accounts Does Simplii Financial Offer?
As mentioned, Simplii Financial offers a number of banking products, including the following.
High-Interest Savings Account
Simplii™ offers a no-fee high-interest savings account that makes saving easier. You’ll get a high-interest rate of 0.40% and other perks like:
- New client offer
- When new clients open a Simplii HISA they will earn 3.00% interest on their savings. For deposits up to $500,000. Limits apply. From June 1st, 2022 to October 31st, 2022.
- No minimum balance
- No monthly fees
- No transaction fees
- 0.40% daily interest
- Automatic deposits
No-Fee Chequing Account
Simplii offers no-fee banking through their no-fee chequing account. With the Simplii no-fee chequing account you’ll have:
- Welcome offer
- New clients earn $350 when they sign up and set up a minimum of 3 direct deposits. This offer is valid till October 31, 2022, limits apply.
- No monthly fees
- Earn interest up to 0.05%
- No minimum balance required
- Unlimited debit purchases
- Unlimited bill payments
- Unlimited withdrawals
- Free access to CIBC ATMs across Canada
- Direct payroll and pension deposit
- Preauthorized bill payments and account to account transfers
- Overdraft protection
- Low overall costs
- 2.99% APR on 5-year fixed-rate mortgages
- 1.54% APR on 5-year variable-rate mortgages
- 2-to-5-year terms for fixed-rate mortgages
- Flexible payment options
- Mortgage refinancing, transfer, and renewals
Check out these hidden costs of buying a home.
- Prepay some or all of the loan amount with no penalty
- Creditor Insurance
- Competitive interest rates
Personal Line of Credit
- Flexible borrowing options
- Free unlimited Interac debit transactions, bill payments, withdrawals, and cheques
- Low monthly repayment options
- Creditor insurance
Secured Line of Credit
- Pay interest only on what you use
- Withdraw only what you need
- Unlimited debit transactions, withdrawals, and bill payments
- Easy and flexible repayment options
- Support from a loan specialist
RRSP Savings Account
- Tax-advantaged growth of invested funds
- No minimum balance or deposit
- Competitive rates
- Principal and interest are always guaranteed
- Earn 0.10% interest
Learn more about how to successfully prepare for retirement.
- Get risk-free returns
- Higher rates than what big banks offer, as high as 2.472%
- Start with as little as $100
- Interest can compound automatically
- Guaranteed rate for the entire term
- Eligible for registered and non-registered plans
Tax-Free Savings Account
- Earn 0.10% interest
- Tax-free growth of funds, even when you withdraw
- Online option for TFSA investing
- No monthly fees
- No fixed terms
- No minimum deposits
Learn more about TFSAs.
- Management fee discount
- Choose from 7 index fund portfolios
- Include mutual fund products in your RRSP, TFSA, RRIF, or RESP
Prefer investing in something else, check out ETFs.
Cash Back Visa Credit Card
Simplii also offers a no annual fee cash back credit card called the Simplii Financial Cash Back Visa Card. With it you can get:
- New client offer
- 9.99% introductory interest rate for the first six months (after that 19.99% interest rate).
- 10% bonus cash back for 4 months at restaurants and bars up to $500 spend (after that 4% cashback).
- Great 1.5% cash back at eligible gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores and pre-authorized payments — with a spend limit of $15,000. After that get 0.5% cash back with no limit to the cash back you can earn. All other purchases will earn you 0.5% cash back.
- Up to 3 additional cardholders can be added to earn cash back faster; set spending limits
- Purchase security and extended protection insurance
- CIBC Travel Medical Insurance (optional add-on)
- CIBC Payment Protector Insurance (optional add-on)
Pros And Cons Of Online Banking At Simplii Financial
- Several Financial Products Offered. Many online banks come with slim pickings in terms of the types of products offered. But Simplii’s product offerings are vast, so you really don’t have to go anywhere else to get what you need out of an online bank.
- No Monthly Fees Or Minimum Balance. Your Simplii Financial chequing and savings accounts come with no monthly fees, unlike what the big banks tend to offer.
- Free Interac e-Transfers®. Send funds quickly and track your payment at no cost.
- High Interest. Earn interest as high as 0.05% with your chequing account and up to 0.10% on your savings account.
- Free And Unlimited Access ATMs. Use over 3400 of CIBC’s bank machines across Canada at no charge.
- Automatic Savings Plan. Maintain a budget and grow your savings automatically with minimal effort.
- Cash-Back Credit Card. Take advantage of a rewards card, all without having to pay an annual fee.
- Unlimited Number Of Debit Transactions. Purchases, withdrawals, and bill payments are free and unlimited with the Simplii debit card.
- Security. Your money is held by CIDC, a member of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC), which allows up to $100,000 to be insured.
- Not available in Quebec
Overview Of Accounts
Simplii Financial High-Interest Savings Account
|Special Features||Automatic deposits|
Check out other high-interest savings accounts.
Simplii Financial No-Fee Chequing Account
|Interest Rate||Up to 0.05%|
|Access to CIBC ATMs across Canada||Free|
|Direct payroll and pension deposit||Yes|
|Account to account transfers||Yes|
Simplii Financial Mortgages
|Term||Fixed-Rate Mortgage Posted Rate||Variable-Rate Mortgage Posted Rate|
Learn more about mortgages in Canada.
Simplii Financial Loans
|Personal Loans||Personal Line of Credit||Secured Line of Credit|
|– Prepay some or all of the loan amount with no penalty|
– Creditor Insurance
– Competitive interest rates
|– Flexible borrowing options|
– Free unlimited Interac debit transactions, bill payments, withdrawals, and cheques
– Low monthly repayment options
– Creditor insurance
|– Pay interest only on what you use|
– Withdraw only what you need
– Free unlimited debit transactions, bill payments, withdrawals
– Easy and flexible repayment options
Simplii Financial Investment Accounts
|RRSP Savings Account||GICs||Tax-Free Savings Account||Mutual Funds|
|Interest Rate||0.10%||Up to 2.472%||0.10%||Depends on funds invested in|
|Special Perks||– Tax-advantaged growth of invested funds|
– Principal and interest are always guaranteed
|– Risk-free returns|
– Guaranteed rate for the entire term
– Eligible for registered and non-registered plans
|– Tax-free growth of funds, even when you withdraw|
– Online option for TFSA investing
|– Management fee discount|
– Choose from 7 index fund portfolios
– Include mutual fund products in your RRSP, TFSA, RRIF, or RESP
Simplii Financial Cash Back Visa Credit Card
|Purchase Interest Rate||19.99% (introductory rate of 9.99% for first 6 months)|
|Cash Interest Rate||22.99%|
|Cash Back Rewards||10% bonus cash back for 4 months at restaurants and bars (up to $500 spend)|
|Additional Card Holders||Up to 3|
|Security||– Chip and pin technology|
– CIBC Payment Protector Insurance
|Travel Medical Insurance||Yes|
Want to travel in comfort? Check out these credit cards with airport lounge access.
What Customer Support Does Simplii Financial Have Available?
Simplii Financial offers a few ways to get in touch with a live customer service representative:
- By phone: 1-888-723-8881
- By email: email@example.com
- By live chat: Available Monday to Friday from 7 am to 12 am EST, and Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 9 am to 6 pm EST
How To Open An Account With Simplii Financial
Opening an account with Simplii is rather straightforward and not much different than opening an account with another online bank. You can either apply over the phone or online and will be asked a few standard questions, such as your name, date of birth, SIN, and type of account you’d like to open.
You may need to verify your identity and current address by supplying a driver’s license, government-issued photo ID card, or another document with proof of identity and address. To do so, you may be asked to visit the nearest Canada Post office and show your identification in person.
Is It Safe To Bank With Simplii Financial?
Yes, it is safe to park your capital with Simplii Financial and entrust your personal information with the digital bank. Simplii’s association with CIBC and its insurance with CDIC means that up to $100,000 of your money will be protected should Simplii go under. Plus, Simplii’s robust encryption and security system mean your personal information will be strongly protected against potential hackers.
Who Is Best Suited For Online Banking With Simplii Financial?
Simplii Financial may be a suitable online banking platform for those who:
- Want to make their banking experience more convenient
- Like the one-stop-shop aspect of banking with all banking and investing needs in one spot
- Need a tool that can help them achieve their savings goals
- Appreciate the security of CDIC insurance and encryption tools
- Are looking for no-fee banking products
Simplii Financial is probably one of the best online banks in Canada. With its myriad of banking and investing products, outstanding customer service, and affiliation with a CDIC-insured bank, you’ll get the best of all worlds, all while being able to do all your banking from the comfort of your home. If you’re looking for a digital banking platform to entrust your money with, Simplii Financial is worth a look.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
50 Free Trades Offer
Almost $500 in commission-free trades. Code “50TRADESFREE”. Conditions apply.
Earn 5% Cash Back With Neo
Earn an average 5%¹ cash back at thousands of partners and at least 1%² cashback guaranteed.
Build Credit With Refresh
Build credit while spending money with the Refresh Financial VISA card.
Check out our interview with addy; a platform that allows Canadians to invest in different properties across Canada with as little as $1.