Martin finds out he could have avoided a sky-high interest rate in our latest video collaboration with Matthew Giuffrida.
The Drop app is a Canadian-based loyalty rewards app that lets you earn cash back rewards when you shop. Created in 2016, the Drop app is also available in the US and was developed to help Canadians get paid when they shop while simplifying the entire loyalty and rewards program industry. Instead of carrying around a pile of loyalty cards from various retailers, the Drop app acts as an all-in-one loyalty program for hundreds of merchants.
Anyone who shops online and wants to stretch their dollar as far as it can go will find the Drop app incredibly useful. Merchants advertised on Drop app compete with each other for the business of consumers, so they are willing to offer discounts and promos in exchange for business. Today, about 3 million people make use of the Drop app to earn rewards as they shop at their favourite retailers.
How Does Drop App Work?
The Drop app works like a digital loyalty card by lining up your online purchases made on your linked card with offers that have been connected to the app. To use the Drop app, you’ll need to download it to your mobile device.
Once you’ve created an account, you’ll be asked to enter your credit or debit card information to be linked to your account. Choose the bank that you have your accounts with, and add your login information. If you have more than one bank that you want to link, you’ll need to repeat this process for each.
Drop will now have access to your transaction information when you link your accounts, which is how they track your purchases at various retailers and award you with the appropriate points.
You will then be asked to choose 5 different merchants from the list of options to earn points every time you shop. It should be noted that you won’t be able to change these once you choose them, so be sure to choose wisely. Your best bet is to choose brands that you shop most with.
Whenever you make a purchase with these merchants, you earn Drop points, on top of credit card rewards and other bonus points. The number of points that are earned is based on the merchant you shop with.
You can also sign up for bonus offers if you so choose, but this is optional. These can include things like earning a lump sum of points by shopping with a specific retailer. These will be offered regularly, so you don’t have to opt-in right away.
Drop App Key Features
- Gift cards. When you earn enough points, you can trade them in for a gift card to your favourite merchant.
- Drop chrome extension. Install the Drop extension for your chrome web browser and get notified when rewards are available on a website you’re shopping on.
- Referral points. Earn points for referring family and friends to the Drop app.
- Flash deals. This feature allows you to earn more points with one purchase.
- One-time offers. One eligible purchase or sign-up can qualify to earn one-time offer points that can only be earned once, then will expire.
- Surveys. Earn points taking surveys online through the Just For You section.
- Drop games. Earn points completing Drop Games that require you to complete a specific task. Within 14 days of completing the task, you’ll earn points.
Dropp App Overview
|Perks||– Points that can be redeemed into gift cards|
– Dozens of merchants to choose from
– Earn points for referrals
|Accessibility||Website browser extension app|
|Limitations||– Bank logins must be shared|
– Limit of 5,000 Drop points can be earned per week
– 5 retailers initially selected can’t be changed.
How Do You Earn Points With The Drop App?
As a member of Drop, you can earn points by shopping online through the app. Whenever you make a purchase through a participating merchant, you’ll instantly redeem rewards. Drop personalizes your shopping experience by sharing the brands they think you’ll love based on where you’re currently spending your money. Every 1,000 points you earn is equal to $1.00.
You can earn extra points in the “Bonuses” section of the Drop app where you can complete extra tasks, such as referring someone else to use the app, linking a second card, or completing a specific number of transactions.
How Do You Redeem Your Points With The Drop App?
You will need to earn at least 5,000 Drop points in order to start redeeming them. Points can be exchanged in multiples of 5,000. Once you have collected enough Drop points, you can redeem them in the form of a gift card to your favourite retailers. For instance, if you have accumulated 25,000 points, you can redeem a $25 gift card to your retailer of choice.
Find out if your credit card rewards can be taxed.
How To Join The Drop App?
Joining Drop is easy and free. Simply download the app from your Apple or Android mobile device, then provide your email address and select a password. Otherwise, you can sign in using your Google, Twitter, or Facebook login credentials. Once you’re a member, you can choose the merchants you’d like to earn points with, link your credit or debit card, choose up to five banks to link your accounts with, and you’re ready to start earning.
Pros and Cons of Using the Drop App
- It’s free. There’s no charge to use the Drop app.
- Earn points for shopping. You can earn points that go toward gift cards for making purchases that you would have made anyway.
- No action needed to be taken to redeem points. Unlike traditional loyalty cards with various merchants, there’s no need to submit receipts or do anything else aside from making a purchase on your linked card.
- Use alongside cash back apps. There are plenty of cash back apps out there that you can use alongside the Drop app, allowing you to earn even more with every online purchase you make.
- Dozens of retailers to choose from. You can choose from a myriad of retailers that you regularly shop with.
- Great security. Your data is safe with the Drop app and won’t be compromised.
- You have to link your bank account(s)
- Limit of earning 5,000 Drop points per week.
- 5 retailers initially chosen cannot be changed.
How Much Does it Cost to Use Drop?
Do You Get Cash Back From Any Store?
Is The Drop App Safe?
Who Is Drop App Best Suited For?
If you are the type to collect loyalty cards and use them regularly to collect points and rewards from your favourite retailers, then the Drop app may be a great option for you. Rather than hoarding dozens of such cards, you can continue to automatically collect points from merchants you frequently shop with. However, the app may not be well suited for consumers who may be uncomfortable with sharing their bank account login credentials.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
goPeer — Helping Consumers Achieve Financial Freedom by Connecting Canadians Looking For Financing With Canadians Looking to Invest
goPeer is Canada's first consumer peer to peer lending platform and connects creditworthy Canadians looking for a loan with everyday Canadians looking...