Get a free, no obligation personal loan quote with rates as low as 6.99%
Get Started You can apply with no effect to your credit score

With tax season on the way, it’s best to get a jumpstart on filing your return, so you don’t miss out on any benefits or run into any tax debt issues.

Staying organized and up to date with your income taxes is just as important as monitoring your credit score and managing loan payments and credit card bills.

For instance, one of the most important sections of your tax return to fill in correctly is Line 10100 (formerly 101), which has to do with your employment income. Keep reading to find out what Line 10100 is and why it’s an essential part of your tax return.

Key Takeaways 

  •  Line 10100 was known as Line 101.
  • All employment income earned during the year must be reported on line 10100.
  • The amount you need to enter on line 10100 can be found on your T4 slip under Box 14. 

What Are Tax Lines? 

Tax lines are a filing system that the government and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) use to simplify tax reporting forms. Each line on one of these forms represents a different aspect of your tax return. While tax lines used to be 3 or 4 numbers long, the CRA announced that all lines would change to 5 numbers as of tax season 2019.

What Is Line 10100 On Your Tax Return?

Until 2019, Line 10100 was known as Line 101. As mentioned, it’s one of the only lines that pretty much every Canadian taxpayer has to complete on their return because it’s how people declare their employment income to the Canada Revenue Agency.  

All employment income earned during the year must be reported on line 10100. This number can be found under Box 14 on your T4 slip. If you’ve received employment income from multiple employers, then you must add up the numbers in Box 14 on your T4 slips and enter that number. 

Find out why you need to file your taxes if you have no income

Where Can You Find Line 10100 On Your Tax Return?

line 10100

If you look at a completed federal tax return from the year 2019 or later, Line 10100 should be the first line located under “Step 2 – Total Income”, which is normally on Page 3 of your T1 – Income Tax and Benefit Return (also called a T1 General Form).

You can generally find the form online through tax filing software such as TurboTax or UFile or by downloading it through your CRA MyAccount. Depending on the tax software you use, the line may appear under different sections. For example, with TurboTax, you can find Line 10100 in the tax summary section.

Filing Your Tax Return

Don’t forget, the amount you have to enter for Line 10100 of your federal tax return is listed under Box 14 of your T4 slip. Whether you’re using tax software, hiring a tax accountant or filing your taxes manually, you must report the total income you’ve earned as stated on each T4 slip you get. Employment income qualifies as any earnings from:

  • Salaries
  • Wages
  • Honorariums
  • Bonuses
  • Tips (only those that would appear on a T4) 
  • Commissions

Other Important Tax Return Lines You Should Know

Over the past few years, the CRA has gradually changed most tax lines in Canada from 3 or 4 numbers to 5-digit codes as a way to make tax reporting more efficient. Here are some of the most important tax lines you should know: 

Year 2018 and BeforeYear 2019 and AfterDescription
10110100Employment income from T4 tax slips
10410400Other employment income (royalties, foreign income, etc.)
11311300Old Age Security (OAS) pension
11411400Canada Pension Plan (CPP) OR Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) benefits 
11911900Employment Insurance (EI) and other  related benefits
12612600Net rental income, minus deductions (losses) 
12712700Taxable capital gains (or net capital losses)  
12912900Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) income 
14414400Workers’ compensation benefits 
14514500Social assistance payments
23623600Net income 
26026000Taxable income
30030000Basic personal amount
30830800CPP contributions
35035000Total federal non-refundable tax credits
40640600Federal tax 
43743700Total income tax deducted 
48448400Tax Refund

Tax Line 10100 vs. Tax Line 10400 vs. Tax Line 15000

It’s no secret that filing your own taxes can get a tad confusing, particularly when you’re dealing with your federal and provincial/territorial taxes at the same time. For example, the following 3 tax lines in particular can be easily mixed up if you’re not careful:

Line 10100

This line refers solely to employment income, meaning anything that appears on a T4 tax slip in box 14.

Line 10400

Formerly known as line 104, line 10400 refers to your less traditional income to report, such as royalties, health benefits and foreign income from other countries. These incomes must be added up together and declared on Line 10400 of your federal tax return. 

Line 15000

Formerly known as line 150, this is another line that you’ll see on a federal tax return. Unlike line 10100, line 15000 requires you to input all income, including income from employment, investments, interest, taxable gains, RRSPs and any other sources. When calculating your amount for 15000, you’ll add line 10100, line 10400 and other lines depending on the type of income you’ve received. 


File your taxes with TurboTax

Get Started

Income Sources Reported On Line 10400 

Here are some of the main income types that you should not declare on Line 10100 of your federal or provincial/territorial taxes. Those incomes actually belong on Line 10400 (Other Employment Income): 

  • Non-Canadian Employment Income. Any income that you earn annually from foreign employers (all currencies must be reported in Canadian Dollars/CAD).   
  • Wage-Loss Replacement Plans (WLRP). An employer-employee arrangement that offers temporary payments to workers who lose income for various reasons. 
  • Veteran Benefits – Financial, health, disability and death benefits for Canadian forces members (past/present) and their families are on Box 127 of a T4A slip.   

Is your Notice of Assessment wrong? You can file a Notice of Objection.

Workplace Payment Plans & Insurance Programs Reported On Line 10400

Additionally, some types of workplace payment plans and insurance programs must be reported on Line 10400 of your federal tax return, including but not limited to:

  • Medical Premium Benefits. If you pay a premium to be part of an employee health plan, you can claim your payments as medical expenses on your taxes.  
  • Employee Profit-Sharing Plan (EPSP). You should also report profits, losses and contributions you make through company investment plans (trust accounts).   
  • Wage Earner Protection Program (WEPP). If a company goes bankrupt or is the subject of a receivership, the WEPP offers workers payment of eligible wages. 
  • Supplementary Unemployment Benefit Plan. This raises a worker’s Employment Insurance (EI) payments during a temporary or indefinite layoff.  
  • Premiums of Group Term Life Insurance Plan. This policy pays out after the death or disability of current/former workers but is only taxable to the employer.

Get Ready For Tax Season

Whether you’re doing your taxes or getting them done professionally, Line 10100 is one of the most essential parts of your federal and provincial/territorial tax returns. Get in touch with a certified tax expert if you’re having trouble understanding or filing your taxes. That way, you’ll be prepared for tax season.

Tax Line 10100 - FAQs

Is Line 101 the Same as Line 150 On a Tax Return?

Line 101 and Line 150 are not the same. They were the former designations for what are now referred to as Line 10100 and Line 15000. 

Is Line 10100 the Same as Line 15000? 

Line 10100 is where you report the income you earned from your jobs(s). This is all income reported on the T4 slip(s). Line 15000 is where you declare your gross annual income (income before deductions). This includes income from your T4 slip(s) and any other income you earned during the year. 

Why is Line 10100 Important? 

This line is important for most Canadian taxpayers because it’s how they report their taxable employment income. Remember that you’re required to file each T4 slip you get from any of your employment sources. Failing to declare taxable income (especially in larger amounts) could be considered tax fraud, which can lead to severe CRA penalties
Bryan Daly avatar on Loans Canada
Bryan Daly

Bryan is a graduate of Dawson College and Concordia University. He has been writing for Loans Canada for five years, covering all things related to personal finance, and aims to pursue the craft of professional writing for many years to come. In his spare time, he maintains a passion for editing, writing screenplays, staying fit, and travelling the world in search of the coolest sights our planet has to offer.

More From This Author

Special Offers

More From Our Experts
Loans Canada places No. 228 on The Globe and Mail’s fifth-annual ranking of Canada’s Top Growing Companies.

By Caitlin Wood, BA
Published on September 29, 2023

Loans Canada is excited to announce it has made it onto the Globe and Mail’s Top Growing Companies list for the second year in a row.
Finder Awards Finalists: Personal Loans Customer Satisfaction Awards 2023

By Priyanka Correia, BComm

Loans Canada is happy to announce it received the finalist award in the Best Personal Loan Search Platform category.
Beware of Fraudulent Lenders Impersonating Loans Canada

By Caitlin Wood, BA

A note to our clients about fraudulent lending practices and illegal upfront fees.
Tax Season: Getting To Know A T1 General Form

By Savanna Craig

The T1 General Forms are an important part of filling out your taxes. Find out how to file the T1 General Form this year.
How To Invest A $8,000 FHSA Contribution Safely With Low Risk

By Tony Dong, MSc, CETF

The Canadian housing market is red-hot, making the dream of homeownership seem out of reach for many. However, aspiring homeowners now have a new ally...
What Is Negative Amortization?

By Jessica Martel

Thanks to multiple interest rate hikes, homeowners are experiencing negative amortization. Find out how it can affect you, and what you can do about i...
Income Assistance In New Brunswick 2024

By Mark Gregorski

The province of New Brunswick provides a comprehensive social assistance program for residents called Income Assistance.
Home Renovation Tax Credits In Canada 2024

By Bryan Daly

Federal or regional government may offer tax incentives to residents who are financing their homes in various ways, such as home renovation tax credit...

Recognized As One Of Canada's Top Growing Companies

Loans Canada, the country's original loan comparison platform, is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's fastest growing companies by The Globe and Mail!

Read More

Why choose Loans Canada?

Apply Once &
Get Multiple Offers
Save Time
And Money
Get Your Free
Credit Score
Expert Tips
And Advice

Build Credit For Just $10/Month

With KOHO's prepaid card you can build a better credit score for just $10/month.

Koho Prepaid Credit Card