Are your COVID-19 government benefits coming to end? We have the information you need to prepare.
Have you ever wondered what would happen to your home and all of your belongings when you pass away? If you want your estate to be passed onto specific people in your life, you will need some form of legal documentation to offer direction to those who are handling your estate, like a will.
Without a will in place, you’ll have little control over what happens to your estate after you pass on. But with a will drafted, you’ll have direct say in who gets what, rather than leaving it to the courts to decide.
Lawyers have traditionally drafted wills for Canadians, but these services can be expensive and cumbersome. Luckily, there is a quicker, easier, and more affordable way to have a will created. Online platforms are now available to Canadians to quickly create a comprehensive will within minutes, and Epilogue Wills is one of them.
Developed by two experienced estate lawyers, Epilogue Wills creates legally-binding wills that will protect your estate and your loved ones according to your wishes.
Let’s get into more detail about Epilogue Wills to help you determine if this online will-generating platform is right for you.
What Does Epilogue Wills Offer?
Epilogue Wills offers Canadians an online platform upon which to quickly and easily create a will. There’s no need to make an in-person visit to a lawyer, nor are there any expensive bills to pay to have a will drafted.
And since the website and service were developed by estate planning lawyers who back the service, you can rest assured knowing that the will you create will be legally sound.
The online wills created by Epilogue Wills are comprehensive and offer full protection for your loved ones. But they’re not overly complicated, making them easy to create. The online platform offers guidance throughout the process so you can create your will in as little as 20 minutes with no hassle. In no time, you’ll have a will that’s ready to sign and make binding.
How Much Will it Cost to Make a Will?
Epilogue Wills offers two price packages.
- $139 for one will.
- $179 for one will plus a power of attorney.
- $229 for two wills.
- $289 for two wills plus a power of attorney.
Pros and Cons of Using Epilogue Wills vs Lawyers
- More affordable. The cost to have lawyers create a custom will for you can translate into hundreds of dollars. Instead, using Epilogue Wills to create a will costs you less than $200 without compromising on quality.
- Simple pricing structure. Epilogue Wills offers a simple price plan with no hidden fees. Choose from two different plans to meet your needs and budget.
- Quick and simple. Create your will in as little as 20 minutes from the comfort of your home.
- Free changes. Things change in life, and when they do, you may want your will to reflect that. Luckily, you can make changes to your will whenever you want without being charged any fees to do so.
- Learning centre. Epilogue Wills offers a library of tutorials that will help educate you on the process of creating a will and how to develop a contract that offers you all the protection you need.
- Estate taxes can be tricky to deal with. It can be difficult to mitigate estate taxes when drafting up a will if you do not work side by side with a lawyer to help.
- Not ideal for high net worth. If your assets are plentiful, you may want to consider having a will drafted directly by your attorney.
- Not suitable for complex needs. More complicated arrangements can be more difficult to handle online.
What Support is Available?
You can reach out to a customer representative in a few ways:
- By phone: 1-888-316-0921
- By email: email@example.com
- By contact form on the website
- By mail:
c/o The Legal Innovation Zone
10 Dundas Street East, Suite 1002
Toronto, ON M5B 2G9
Which Provinces Does Epilogue Wills Provide its Services?
Epilogue Wills is currently available for residents of Alberta and Ontario.
Overview of Epilogue Wills Key Features
|Will only||Will + Power of Attorney|
|Features||-Create a custom will-Include wishes for your funeral and burial||-Create a custom will-Include wishes for your funeral and burial -Appoint a Power of Attorney to handle your finances if you become incapacitated-Name a person to make health care decisions for you if you’re unable to|
|Updates||Free, anytime||Free, anytime|
|Provinces offered in||Alberta and Ontario||Alberta and Ontario|
|Have a lawyer review will option||Not specified||Not specified|
|Customer support||Contact form, email, telephone, mail||Contact form, email, telephone, mail|
Is Epilogue Wills Safe?
It’s understandable to have reservations about creating a will online given the sensitive information that will be included in the document. But creating a will via the internet with Epilogue Wills is totally safe and secure. The platform incorporates encryption storage backed up in a Virtual Private Cloud with firewalls in data centres across Canada to protect your information.
Sessions are managed using the HTTPS protocol, and passwords are hashed using innovative bcrypt technology.
How Do You Create a Will With Epilogue Wills?
Create a will with Epilogue Wills in only 20 minutes by following these steps:
- Open an account.
- Answer a series of questions about your assets, minor children, beneficiaries, executor, legal guardian, and so forth.
- Epilogue will automatically generate your will.
- Make your payment.
While the process is rather quick, you can also choose to complete your will over several sessions. Epilogue Wills will save your progress so you can resume your project at a later time.
In order for your will to be valid and legally binding, it must be printed and signed in the presence of two witnesses who are there with you at the same time. The witnesses must also sign the document.
Be sure to file your will in a safe place where your executor knows where to find it. You can also opt to have Epilogue Wills print and mail your will for you for a small fee.
Is Epilogue Wills Right For You?
An online platform like Epilogue Wills can be perfect for those who are looking for a quick, easy, and affordable way to draft up a will. If you have a simple estate, own property in Canada, have minor children or pets, and want to communicate your wishes on your funeral and burial, then a will from Epilogue Wills can help.
On the other hand, Epilogue Wills may not be suitable if your estate is more complex, you have a high net worth, or you live outside of where Epilogue Wills offers its services.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to have a will created that does not require a visit to a lawyer’s office, then you may want to consider Epilogue Wills. As long as your estate is relatively straightforward and you reside within Alberta or Ontario, this online will-generating platform can provide you with a legally-sound will backed by real estate lawyers that will protect your loved ones.
Largest Lender Network In Canada
Save time and money with Loans Canada. Research and compare lenders before you apply. Share your experiences with Canada's top lenders.
goPeer — Helping Consumers Achieve Financial Freedom by Connecting Canadians Looking For Financing With Canadians Looking to Invest
goPeer is Canada's first consumer peer to peer lending platform and connects creditworthy Canadians looking for a loan with everyday Canadians looking...